Launched a mass media and micro-targeted media “Get Out The Count” campaign to communicate the most critical information about the Census across all NYC communities, and worked with the U.S. Census Bureau Director, NYC Census Director, NYC Council Task Force on Census 2020, and New York Counts 2020 to develop a public awareness campaign strategy that highlighted the importance of completing the Census.
- Produced a Census Flash Mob in the center of Times Square encouraging New Yorkers to complete the Census and celebrating the vitality and creativity of the city with more than one hundred masked dancers from across the five boroughs of NYC. Replay the Flash Mob >
- Launched and engaged a list of more than 700 committed Census advocates across the State with a weekly newsletter of pertinent Census news and advocacy resources.
See a sample newsletter and view the archive >
- Distributed weekly communications guides to ABNY Pop-Up Agency clients and Census Partners including original shareable graphics, videos, talking points, scripts for phone/text banking translated to key languages, as well as news articles, resources, and updates on federal Census operations.
View communications guides >
- Created the Messaging Guide to develop and share messaging.
Get the Messaging Guide >
- Created the Digital Engagement Toolkit to support community-based organizations in pursuit of online tools to convene and conduct outreach online in the face of COVID-19 work from home requirements.
Get the toolkit >
- Created an Influencer Engagement Toolkit to help leaders imagine new trusted trendsetters to partner with to amplify the importance of the Census to their communities.
Get the toolkit >
- Partnered with New York Counts 2020 to develop and implement community outreach plans in historically undercounted neighborhoods.
- Developed and distributed community-specific messaging through a guide that identified relevant and culturally competent messaging for each targeted community.
Download the Messaging Guide >
- Began a public awareness campaign from July to December 2019 with in-person activities including tabling at concerts and events to ready the Get Out the Count campaign for 2020.
- Partnered with the business community to develop strategic Census campaigns; identified and developed linkages with the City’s largest employers whose workforces include hard to count populations.
- Worked with the business community across the city to provide reminders and time during employee meetings to host Ten Minutes Ten Years sessions to increase the self-response rate.
- Identified and developed relationships with industry membership organizations and small to mid-sized businesses including merchant organizations, Business Improvement Districts, and trade organizations to share information about the Census.
- Provided content and created outreach plans with Lyft, Citibike, and Uber to promote the Census to users and drivers.
- Partnered with the Greater New York Hospital Association to develop and distribute trusted and accurate information to member hospitals.
Read the Census and Health one pager >
- Partnered with NYC Employment and Training Coalition, U.S. Census Bureau, LinkNYC, Firefly, Hunter College, and community-based workforce development organizations on a public awareness campaign and broadcast accurate and accessible information about Census job opportunities for New Yorkers across the five boroughs.
- Organized webinars and in-person activities with Congressional representatives including Representatives Carolyn Maloney, Gregory Meeks, and Grace Meng to activate communities around Census Outreach.
Watch Melva M. Miller speak alongside Rep. Carolyn Maloney and more >
- Hosted 12 “How to” webinars reaching thousands of Census advocates and New York City residents.
- Featured in Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY) informational video soliciting the industry’s engagement in Census outreach.
Watch the REBNY video >
- Partnered with SummerStage to conduct and facilitate Census outreach in 2019 during 33 concerts in 9 parks in all 5 boroughs.
- Launched Be Seen. Be Heard. Be Counted, a conversation series with trusted messengers and influencers on social media, in community-based organizations, and in the faith community.
Watch the video series and more here >
- Created an Influencer Toolkit to provide Census advocates with tools to engage celebrities and neighborhood-specific spokespersons who possess cultural capital, including language to talk about the Census across channels.
Read Influencer Toolkit here >
- Partnered with Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on a “Friends and Family Day” on July 30, 2020 and Take 10 Minutes at 10 a.m. on August 10, 2020 to encourage Census participation.
- Participated in: dozens of webinars and in-person presentations with multicultural groups, community-based events, outdoor concerts, Complete Count Committees, high school extra-curricular programs, media briefings, civic association meetings, community clean-a-thons, and more.